Round Armorial Panel, ca. 1400
16 1/2 in. (42 cm) diameter
This piece of stained glass is an example of the small religious objects commissioned by private patrons to decorate their local chapel or church. In medieval and early Renaissance England, it was widely held that light was a powerful symbol of God's presence in the world, and thus images that captured and harnessed its effects were considered sacred.
Private collection, U.K.; with Simon R. Gillespie Studio. London
See Artist Profile